Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Walter Dean Meyers



 

Walter Dean Myers




His Life

Walter Dean Myers is the author of over 90 books (as of 2009) covering many topics from jazz and blues to juvenile delinquincy. He also has many works written based on his experiences growing up in Harlem in the mid-1900s. Born in August of 1937 in West Virgina, Walter was born Walter Milton Myers but was given up to a caring couple, Herbert and Florence Dean. Herbert was African American and Florence was Native American and German. Although he was smart, he dropped out of high school at age 17 and joined the army. Luckily, however, he had a teacher in high school who recongnized his gift for writing. In his biography on his website, he talks about how he started writing:

"I wrote well in high school and a teacher (bless her!) recognized this and also knew I was going to drop out. She advised me to keep on writing no matter what happened to me.

"It's what you do," she said.

I didn't know exactly what that meant but, years later, working on a construction job in New York, I remembered her words. I began writing at night and eventually began writing about the most difficult period of my own life, the teen years. That's what I do."

Now, at the age of 76, Walter still continues to write. Only this time, with his son Christopher illustrating many of his books, such as one of my favorites, Looking Like Me (2009).

Myers and his son Chris, an artist, often collaberate on their works.




I think my life is special. In a way it seems odd that I spend all of my time doing only what I love, which is writing or thinking about writing. If everyone had, at least for part of their lives, the opportunity to live the way I do, I think the world would be a better place.  
-Walter Dean Myers 
 

Books I Have Read

Looking Like Me

One of my favorites of his works, Looking Like Me is not only filled with eye-catching collage illustrations (by Chris Myers), but a great, simple children's book on identity. The book opens with the line, "I looked in the mirror and what did I see?", and continues to list all the things the narrator sees in themself: a handsome dude, Jeremey, a little brother, a son, a writer, dancer, etc. Many of the people in his life tell him what he is to them (like a brother) and to each person he gives their fist a BAM! after they tell him what he is to them. It ends with a word of advice for the reader that I think is great; he says to make a long list of all the things about you that you see and the people around you see then "give yourself a great big smile and your fist a great big BAM!"

Here In Harlem
 
Here in Harlem tells the stories of the many different people who live in Harlem in the form of poems. In the 54 poems included in this chapter book, they all tell very different stories. From nurses to teachers, to students, to hustlers, everyone has a story to tell and Walter Dean Myers does a great job of showing all their voices in very intriguing and interesting ways. You can't help but wonder if he had some real people in mind when writing these poems because they are so realistic and I enjoyed the fact that you couldn't get bored with one narrator, because you heard so many different people's voices in this book.
 



Brown Angels
 
Brown Angels is another one of my favorites by Myers as well as another work of poetry. Each poem is unique, but all share the theme of children, specifically, black children. The part of the book I enjoyed most had to be all the old real black and white pictures of black children that were all throughout the book. They were mostly posed, but some show groups of children. Very sweet image of black people that we don't see everyday.
 






We Are America

 We Are America is a very differnt book than most that we see about America. If is a compilation of poems and quotes from famous leaders and documents such as the constitution all woven together to form a interesting tribute to America. It doesn't just list our positive qualities, but mentions/embraces our flaws as well, something I think is a good thing to keep in mind; America's not perfect and that is part of who we are.








Other Works*
*This is not ALL of his works, but simply a compilation of some of his more popular works


((TABLE ONCE I FIGURE OUT HOW TO PUT IN A TABLE))



Video Links

Interview with Walter:


Link to Additional Videos: Walter Dean Myers Answers Students' Questions

I believe that everyone is intelligent. I believe that everyone can be creative. I like just about everyone I meet. For me, life has been good and it's up to me to appreciate it. I hope that the next book, story or poem that I write will be worthy of the time the reader spends with it. If it is then my life is successful. If it's not, then I'll try again.
-Walter Dean Myers
 
 
 
Additional Resources:
http://www.walterdeanmyers.net/bio.html
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/ae/book-club/award-winning-author-walter-dean-myers-332161/
http://blog.nj.com/iamnj/2006/12/hamady_ndaiye.html

No comments:

Post a Comment